Saturday, March 23, 2013

Chapter 10




Khushi’s Room, Shaantivan:

Khushi smiled back at Naniji and Payal assuring them everything was fine. Then she jumped out of the bed and exclaims: We have a lot of stuff to do Naniji. Let’s get started.
Naniji and Payal nod and follows Khushi out of the room.
Once in the living room, Khushi gives them instruction: Naniji, you are in charge of guest list. Jiji will help you in that. After you prepare the guest list, we have to start looking at invitation cards. So count the no. of invitation cards needed and then place the order.
Naniji nods and takes Payal to her room to start with their task.


Khushi goes into the kitchen to talk to HP about the décor for the baby shower. But no one was there. So she turns to leave but stops when she hears whispers coming from the kitchen: Psssttt… Phatti saree… I mean Khushi bitiya… Here…
Khushi looks around and sees Mamiji hiding behind the kitchen counter and gesturing wildly. She gets down to where Mamiji was and asks: Mamiji, why are you hiding here?
Mamiji replies: I have to tell you something. Today I met a childhood friend of Anjali bitiya. I think they liked each other from before. We should invite him for dinner so that we can get to know him better.
Khushi smiles big: That’s perfect. Why don’t you invite him tonight? He will keep Di busy and we will plan for the baby shower without worrying about her finding out.
Mamiji smiles big: Sound good. (Then gets worried) But what about the food?
Khushi beams: Leave the food to me. I will make sure the food will be outstanding. You may not know this Mamiji, but I’m an excellent cook.
Mamiji smiles big: I know.
Khushi gets confused: You know? How?
Mamiji stammers: I mean, you look like you would be a good cook. Besides you are from Lucknow and they are big foodies… So…
Khushi smiles and nods: True. You are so smart Mamiji. You should have been a detective. (Mamiji gives wan smile) So you go and invite Di’s friend and I will arrange for the food.
Mamiji smiles: Done.
Then she gets up and leaves the kitchen.
Khushi comes out of the kitchen to locate HP to discuss tonight’s dinner menu.

Arnav’s Room, Shaantivan:

Arnav was pacing in his room thinking about Khushi’s sudden faint when he notices Khushi sneaking into the hall. He frowns and walks towards her. As he comes closer, he taps her shoulder to catch her attention.
Khushi jumps two feet in the air in fright as her hand clutch over her heart and her eyes go wide: What the? (Then recognizing whose signature lines she used, she clamps her palm over her mouth)
Arnav (surprised to hear his signature lines from her): What the…
Khushi with still palm over her mouth raises one of her brow mirroring Arnav’s exact reaction.
Arnav (exasperated): Stop mimicking me. What are you up to?
Khushi mumbles from behind her palm: Vee?
(Then remembers to remove her palm from her mouth): Me?
Arnav (even more exasperated): Yes you. Do you see anyone else here?
Khushi (big blinking innocent eyes): Umm… No?
Arnav (rubs his palm over his weary eyes to calm his temper): Exactly. So what are you up to?
Khushi (too quick answer): Nothing…
Arnav (narrows his eyes): I don’t buy that. You must be up to something.
Khushi mumbles: What is he? James-freaking-bond?
Arnav (frowns): What did you say?
Khushi (big toothy grin, totally insincere): Nothing. Shouldn’t you be busy making your next millions?
Arnav (narrows): Let me figure out what to do with my time. You…
Khushi (interrupts): Ookay… (Then she turns to saunter back towards her room)
Arnav follows her: You didn’t answer me.
Khushi grabs an apple from the fruit bowl on the table, takes a bite and mumbles while chewing: Vat?
Arnav still following her: What are you up to?
Khushi turns to him, looks at the apple then raises a brow back to Arnav.
Arnav (losing tight control on his temper): I don’t mean right now. Why were you up from your bed when you just fainted a few minutes ago?
Khushi swallows her apple and replies: I told you I fainted because I was hungry. I had food which you practically forced down my throat and now I’m fine. So I don’t need to stay in bed.
Arnav frowns: Yes, you do. I’m calling your doctor. Until he gives you a clean bill of health, you’ll have to stay in bed.
Khushi frowns back: Absolutely not. You can’t tell me what to do. You are not my dad.
Arnav grits his teeth: You will do what I tell you to do. Get it?
Khushi frowns back: Make me.
Arnav grabs Khushi and jerks her close to his body: Don’t try my patience. If I tell you to lie in bed and take rest, you’ll do it. Understood?
Khushi shouts back: Why would I do that? Who am I to you?
Arnav shouts back: Dammit, because I’m your hu…
Khushi’s eyes widen…
Arnav checks himself just in time: Houseguest. That is you are my guest. So you are my responsibility. So you will take care of yourself if I tell you to.
Then he pushes her away and stalks back to his room leaving a confused Khushi behind.

Spoiler: Dinner Party & the Green-Eyed Monster


2 comments:

  1. Oh God the difficulty in keeping Khushi in the dark! Poor Khushi and poor Arnav - and the rest of the family...

    Love the conversation with Mamiji - she should indeed have been a detective :D

    Now what to do? Will Arnav be able to keep his jealousy at bay? I hope not!!

    Bim
    Moomin4455

    ReplyDelete
  2. T! Your back and with a bang! :D


    I loved the maamiji - Khushi Conversation!! Man this remained me of their detectiveness :D heheh joint venture!!

    And the small revealings so Vj is in now!!

    Its really tough to keep yourself in check in front of her! Any body for that matter! N poor Arnav all the more!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete